Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Should Social Media Be Renamed Shareable Media?

Courtesy of BrandingEye.com
How would you define social media?  I think most people would use examples like Facebook and Twitter to describe platforms that allow users to engage each other.  Keyword – allow.  I would argue that in many cases these platforms are not social all the time; instead, they are places where users share.

Instead of social media, I like to use shareable media.

Why do I say shareable media?  How are you engaging with content and its creators? Users share with others more often than there is direct social interaction; e.g. it’s a “share” button on Facebook.  You RT someone on Twitter; you’re sharing, not socializing. You comment on a blog; that’s sharing your point-of-view or comment, not always creating a conversation since you may or may not get a response from the author.  You “like” something on Facebook; again, you’re sharing a “thumbs up” but not necessarily having a conversation with the poster. 

You, as a disseminator of content – original or not, are sharing with media platforms. You tweet; someone might see it but takes no action, reads it but doesn’t comment. You post a status update; someone will probably see it but may not comment.  In many cases, people will see content you share but not always engage/be social with you. That’s why I like shareable media versus social media.

Do you agree or disagree?  Share your comments below (and maybe I’ll be social). ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I think it can be both. There is a social aspect to Twitter, for example, that goes above and beyond just re-tweeting and sharing what others have created. I've had some pretty righteous ongoing dialogues with other people on all kinds of subjects using Twitter.

    That being said, I just read a chapter in Brian Solis' book Engage where he talked about participation inequality and it's absolutely truth that only a very small percentage (>1% in some networks) are producing content, while the rest are just sharing or a passive reading audience. I was shocked that the gap was that big. So perhaps your description is a lot more apt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Amanda - Thank you for the comment. I certainly agree with you about the social aspect to Twitter. I'm shocked, like you, about the participation inequality.

    ReplyDelete