Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Using Social Media to Stay Connected During University of Texas at Austin Emergency

What a day. Today, I was working at The University of Texas at Austin when a student killed himself on-campus. There were many lessons learned from this experience but the ability to share information in real-time through social media proved invaluable.


When I arrived on campus today, I saw several UT police officers - sirens going - race past me heading south toward to the middle of campus. I felt it was unusual but did not give it much thought beyond any emergency that needed police attention. After arriving to my office, I poured myself a cup of coffee and received a text message alert from the University notifying us that there was a gunman on campus at the PCL - one of our largest libraries.


My immediate reaction was to let my family know of the situation, so I sent them a group text. And, my next thought was to alert others through my Twitter and Facebook accounts.  I knew folks would be impacted with the information if they had not received it already. We were in a lockdown. A social media firestorm began...


Retweets on Twitter started and Facebook comments were next. Many people I share my social media space are connected to the UT campus and had an interest in the updates.  


As I received updates from the school - main campus and the law school - I began sharing what information I had.  I also shared information I had from other colleagues who I was connected with on Facebook and Twitter. 


I found myself connecting with lots of people on Twitter who had concerns for loved ones on campus and sought information.  Lots of questions came in and I began to share information I had. 


Twitter makes it easy to connect quickly around an event using hashtags -- #UTshooting and #UTshooter quickly emerged as the tags folks were using.  I mainly used #UTshooting. Twitter connected the campus and its community beyond the 40 acres.  People were sharing information at rapid speed.  Shortly after I began tweeting retweets (RTs) were pouring in - after 600 I stopped keeping track. People yearned for more information at the very critical time for many on campus. 


I soon received an email from Carson Daly's producer in Los Angeles that works on his morning radio show. Soon thereafer we spoke on the phone about the events and what I was experiencing at the time.  Next came a phone call from a New York City radio station -- I still do not remember who it was. Things were moving so fast -- tweets, Facebook comments, texts to friends and family. Next came a message from a Twitter follower who wanted me to call into Fox 7 Austin.  I spoke live on their TV broadcast of the situation. People began sending tweets and Facebook messages that they were seeing me on TV. Even co-workers were seeing it offices away.  I then received a few messages that people were hearing me on the Bobby Bones morning show on 96.7 KISS-FM ... well, they weren't "hearing" me, Bobby Bones was reading my tweets to his listeners. Next came messages that Good Morning America was interested in speaking but I'm still not sure that's accurate. Lastly, tonight I was messaged by the San Antonio NBC affiliate for a TV interview on social media and its use in emergency situations.  


From radio to TV, from West coast to East coast, the power of social media is real. It's a platform that extends all boundaries and allows many people to share and learn information instantly.  It's also a platform that gives a voice to many. 


It's relieving to know that no one was injured in this shooting and hope that social media and mass communication tools; e.g. text messaging, emails and sirens UT used, played a significant role in keeping people safe and informed. Information is power.

13 comments:

  1. Wow Drew, what a crazy day! Glad that you are okay and pleased that you both shared your story with the world through social media and then shared that story with us here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Daniel - it was a crazy day! Never expect it. I'm glad I was able to share and that you were part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the GMA was real. My friend Tonya Kerr is a former KXAN anchor and now she does freelance work with GMA when things happen in Austin. She was on the IRS plane crash scene, and she was the one that contacted Bobby Bones. I think the GMA folks killed her story line on the social media angle. pity.

    anyway, good luck and good job on the blog.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sean - I gotcha. Now putting the pieces together. Would have loved to talk about impact of social media. Thanks for trying to connect us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I saw you somewhere in the maelstrom of #UTshooting on Twitter. I got in on the situation about 5 minutes after it started and kept up with it all for about four hours. I was able to keep several friends updated on what was going on through Twitter, FB, and email. Social media is amazing and, I think, showed some of it's true strength today. I'm still in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I IMed you because I knew you'd know what was going on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Sara - thanks for your comments. Agreed, social media is amazing. I know many friends were glad to be receiving your updates.

    @Amy - haha! Things were moving so fast. I have no idea what I said to you but hope I was giving you info over IM.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Drew for you cool head yesterday. It was nice to read your tweets. Because of you; I was able to alert my family before they heard the sirens at home. Your updates were much faster than traditional media. You were able to reach more people with Twitter than you ever would have in an email or text. You had a large part in showing traditional media that social media does play a part and more importantly that SM is here to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Vanessa - thanks for taking time to leave your thoughts. I'm glad to hear that you were able to relay messages to your family. It's important that we continue to use social media to eliminate the bridge between information, access and communication.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It really is amazing that traditional news media outlets are turning to social media users as their sources. Excellent work, keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Jack - thank you. Enjoyed reading your analysis on your blog. Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Drew, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I forgot to discuss the impact of hashtags during the shooting in my post. Now that I think about it, hashtags were probably the most important Twitter tool during the crisis. The impact they had just proves that Twitter is more powerful and versatile than people think.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Tony - thanks for your comment. Yes, I agree, hashtags on Twitter can quickly connect folks who are not otherwise following each other. And, the conversation can continue even after. Hashtags are also great ways to do research from, gather insights.

    ReplyDelete